Tuesday 10 October 2006

The problem of dedicated fans

I have a couple of dedicated fans of the series who correspond on the IAMTHIRSTY website about my books, and speculate on what's going to happen. Now as they will probably read this I have to say that I'm awed and delighted and flattered by this. But I really don't know what to do about their speculations. One or two have even been close to the mark. Another couple have even made me wonder whether I shouldn't have bent the plot that way. It's a little bit like having someone standing over your shoulder as you write, nudging you and suggesting this or that. One is tempted to yell out "It's my book, guys, leave off!"

But actually I value them enormously and wouldn't mind 1000 more like them. Nor would my bank manager. But I do wonder how J. K. Rowling handles it.