Tuesday 26 September 2006

Starting the blog

Welcome to readers. Let me say at the start that this blog is mainly going to concentrate on my writing efforts. It's prompted because in about a month's time the new volume Dark Foundations should be published. Actually, it's far more complicated than that and it's probably worth explaining it here.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (that's a good opening, must use it somewhere), I wrote two of what was envisaged to be a four-book cycle. Incidentally, no one seems to have a good popular name for a four-book cycle. They should be a tetralogy (Wagner's Ring is styled thus), but I've also seen the unlovely 'quadrology'.

Tyndale took them over and then as I was writing Book 3, my wonderful editor Linda Washington suggested that I broaden out the viewpoint. The result was that Book 3 sprawled to 200,000 words, the size of books 1 and 2 together. In a moment of inspiration, Tyndale suggested putting books 1 and 2 together in one volume, thus making the old Book 3, now book 2 of an epic trilogy.

Books 1 and 2 have now acquired the title The Shadow and Night, and frankly, if you've got copies of the original single volumes keep hold of them, they might be valuable one day (and pigs may fly).